Skip to content

What is the House Edge in Online Casinos (RTP)

Casino edge in game

The house edge or RTP (return to player percentage) is a term used in online casinos to describe the percentage of money a casino will be taking from each bet. It represents the amount of money that is left over after all expenses are deducted, such as payouts, staff salaries and maintenance costs. For example-if there is a House Edge or RTP of 10%, the casino will keep 10% of each bet placed, while paying out the remaining 90%.

While it is not always a precise figure, the house edge gives you a good idea of how much money the casino stands to make from each game. This can be important when deciding which games to play, as you want to make sure you are giving yourself the best possible chance of winning.

What is an average RTP in Online Casinos for various games?

There is no one definitive answer to this question, as the RTP for different games can vary quite a lot. However, according to figures from Casino.org, the average RTPs for some of the most popular online casino games are as follows:

Slots -96.5%

Blackjack -99.5%

Roulette -97.3%

Baccarat -99.6%

Craps -99.4%

However, it is important to note that the RTPs quoted above are for optimal playing conditions. In reality, your results may vary depending on the specific game you are playing and the strategies you use.

For example with Jackpot Slots the RTP will be a lot lower, as a lot of the money disappears into the overall Jackpot.

Can the House Edge be beaten?

In theory, it is possible to beat the house edge by playing strategically and minimizing your losses. However, in practice this is much easier said than done, and most people will find that they are not able to consistently win against the casino. That said, there is no harm in giving it a try – just make sure you have realistic expectations!

One of the only real ways of beating the house is by abusing bonuses. If you go switch between online casinos and only take the bonuses you will be able to actually come out ahead with a bit of careful planning and game selection.

Counting cards at Blackjack

This is another way, but it is much more difficult than in offline casinos and you need to be very quick with calculations. Even in live casinos you need a really good concentration to keep up with the count, and a team of people backing you.

Online the dealers tend to shuffle the cards, which ends up eliminating the strategy altogether.

Why RTP is necessary to look at before playing casino games?

RTP is necessary to have in casino games because it tells players how much the house edge is on each game. This way, players can make informed decisions about which games to play and how to bet in order to give themselves the best chance of winning. It is also a good indicator of how much money the casino stands to make from each game.

Before playing any slots, do always check the individual RTP per slot game. This is your best bet at minimising your losses at the tables.

In summary

Without a house edge or RTP there can be no casino. After all no one works for free, and the dealers and game developers need to eat too. Always check out the ratio of RTP before playing any games, otherwise you might be in for a big surprise after an hour of playing!

Gamble responsibly, and get help if things get out of control.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *